There are SO many great baby and children books to add to any kid’s library!
There are also a lot of terrible books out there that makes you realize that you could write a children’s book better than some currently out there!
And there are A LOT of children’s books to choose from that is can be totally overwhelming!
However, here are a list of 100 books recommended by real life moms that are all-around family favorites to add to your home collection!
You’ll find a lot of these on many lists and you probably have a few of these already! You may also discover a few new ones! I know I have discovered a few new favorites already!
This post does contain affiliate links and I get a small percentage if you make a purchase (thank you!) but it can be on whatever, and don’t have any particular interest or stake in any book whatsoever.
The books are listed in no particular order, just how they were recommended and compiled.
You’ll notice a few from the same authors too– you can’t go wrong with anything from Eric Carle, Sandra Boynton, Nancy Tillman, Mo Williems, or Dr. Seuss + many other authors!
Here are 100 baby books and young children’s book to add to your home recommended directly from fellow moms!
100 Best Baby Book Suggestions:
- On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton
- The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton
- Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
- The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat by Nurit Karlin
- You Are My I Love You by Maryann Cusimano
- Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton
- Time for Bed by Mem Fox
- Ten Tiny Toes by Caroline Jayne Church
- The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
- Peek A Who by Nina Laden
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak
- I Love You, Stinky Face by Lisa Mccourt
- Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- Good Night, Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones by Claire Freedman
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen
- Night Night Farm by Amy Parker
- Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae
- I’m Going to Give You a Bear Hug by Caroline B. Cooney
- If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richmond
- I’d Know You Anywhere, My Love by Nancy Tillman
- Goodnight Little One by Susan Larkin
- Gregory, The Terrible Eater by Mitchell Sharmat
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- Jamberry by Bruce Degen
- Richard Scarry’s Best Word Book Ever by Richard Scarry
- Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
- The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Audrey Wood
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
- The Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton
- Olivia by Ian Falconer
- But Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton
- Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- Milk and Cookies by Frank Asch
- I’m A Dirty Dinosaur by Janeen Brian
- Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman
- I’ve Loved You Since Forever by Hoda Kotb
- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
- The Napping House by Audrey Wood
- Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton
- My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
- Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth by Oliver Jeffers
- Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle
- Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
- Hound from the Pound by Jessica Swaim
- Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
- There is a Mouse in My House by Jeanne Dore
- It’s Time to Sleep, My Love by Nancy Tillman
- Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
- Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
- God Gave Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren
- Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton
- Starlight Sailor by James Mayhew
- Bear Takes a Trip by Sheila Blackstone
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
- Never Touch A Shark by Rosie Greening
- Never Touch A Dinosaur by Rosie Greening
- If Animals Kissed Good Night by Ann Whitford Paul
- I Love to the Moon and Back by Amelia Hepworth
- Just Shopping with Mom by Mercer Mayer
- Where’s The Bear by Nosy Crow
- Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton
- If You Give A Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
- The Wonky Donkey by Craig Smith
- Don’t Push The Button by Bill Cotter
- Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
- Night-Night, Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton
- Hippos Go Berserk by Sandra Boynton
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Williems
- Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
- The Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff
- Never Tease a Weasel by Jean Condor Soule
- Dr. Seuss’s ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book by Dr. Seuss
- Peekaboo Kisses by Barney Saltzberg
- Everywhere Babies by Susan Meyers
- Mama Loves You So by Terry Pierce
- Baby Beluga by Raffi
- Mary Had a Little Glam by Tammi Sauer
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? by Dr. Seuss
- My First 100 Words by Roger Priddy
- Dream Big, Little One by Vasti Harrison
- Noisy Baby Animals by Patricia Hegarty
- Llama Llama Nighty-Night by Anna Dewdney
- Me and My Dad! by Alison Ritchie
- Tubby by Leslie Patricelli
- Potty by Leslie Patricelli
- I Wish You More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
- The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
- Oh, The Thinks You Can Think! by Dr. Seuss
- The Shape of Me and Other Stuff by Dr. Seuss
- Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins
- From Head to Toe by Eric Carle
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- Go The F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach
Also, don’t forget you can always reserve a few of these through your local library!
I know I’ve checked out a few books at the library and ended up buying them because my kids loved them so much!
It’s a great way to expose your baby to more books for free!
Also, check to see if your library does book sales– we’ve gotten a few children books for .25 each and the proceeds support the library! Win, win!
Amazon will also have book deals, usually around Prime Day in July and Black Friday week in November, as well as some other random times during the year,
Keep an eye out for all those great book deals to save money to help make a big collection of books!
What are your favorite first baby books and children books?